Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's Not A Foot Fetish If You Get Paid For It



I get paid to touch and do things to people's feet, sometimes while their loved ones watch. And to inspect feet as their owners walk back and forth like doomed ducks in the arcade shooting game. And, to listen or talk about arches, bunions, toenails, and all sorts of foot-bound things. Honestly, I don't have a fetish. I work at a running store.

I stumbled upon this job, which is not uncommon because I stumble on lots of things. Usually this ends badly, with me icing a throbbing body part (or two) with a bag of frozen blueberries and cursing at the bandaids that never stay where I need them. But I'm lucky. I have months of free time before starting a full-time graduate program in June, and wanted to find a part-time commitment where I'd be useful on the days I didn't have a "read-nap-read-nap-nap" scheduled (it's brutal....I know).

This is a perfect temporary part-time job. It's in a respected, local running store, owned by a former corporate guy who encountered the perfect storm of a brother's untimely death, corporate distaste, love of sports, love of people and community service....all leading to the creation of this store. That is grossly simplifying Kevin's journey from the whitest-collar background to store owner, but ten-plus years later he has a robust business that's much more than just a place to buy running shoes. And now, I'm a little part of it.

I'm a runner (we RUN, not jog), and have loved it for years. The longest I've gone without running is a month, not counting the 6 weeks off to let a broken foot heal. I love it so much I ran a marathon on that broken foot, which some have said makes me a fool. It's sometimes hard to explain to people who ask, that my love of running has nothing to do with fitness. It's a spiritual and emotional necessity, which is why I suppose I generally don't share the actual running with anyone but a very few. So, working in a running store gives me the chance to hangout with and help others who have the running bug, too. These store visitors, and my new co-workers, and the store's approach to its visitors, are all wonderful.

So, I'm feeling it's time for an inaugural "The best parts about working at a cool running store (so far)" tribute. And I swear....the guys at the store did not put me up to it.

Best Part #1: The staff.

I'll save detailed staff descriptions for another time but for now, I'll just say that Kevin (the owner) and his three full-time 20-something associate 'dudes', are in love with all things running, and are especially passionate about - and excellent at - teaching people and helping them fulfill their running and wellness goals. They know as much about shoes, equipment, biomechanics, and injury prevention and treatment as some licensed therapists I know. They're all smart, quick-witted, slightly nuts, and just ooze a genuine lovin' life vibe. They're also some of the nicest souls I've met. I love the fact that each of these guys own more shoes than I've had in a lifetime, they run in shorts in 23 degrees, that they don't blink at the size of my appetite, they like when their beards freeze, and that the 'dudes' think I'm only maybe, ten years older than they are. Don't ask me why they're apparently delusional about women's ages. Juuuuust let'em think, what they think.

Best Part #2: The shoes. Or actually, the shoe education.

Shoes, shoe components, and the nuanced differences between Brooks, vs. Adidas, vs. Asics, vs. all the others. Who knew such precise adjustments to flex grooves and hydroflo insets and patented foams and rubbers and all the other things, would result in such performance differences for people. It's fascinating. OK, I'm a geek. Apparel can be tricky, too. I thought I knew running, until I started this job. Now I realize I only know anatomy and muscle physiology and biomechanics, and enough about training to be respectable....but almost nothing about all the rest of it. Which is a lot. I'd really like my work hours to count as credits towards my upcoming graduate degree. I mean, Kevin gives TESTS! I have the basics down now, but have a 10-K's worth of "insider" info to learn still. So, bear with me if I agree with you - for just a sec - that the best reason to buy that pair of Asics is because they make your feet look cute. Or fast.

Best Part #3: The customers.

Ho-hum, la-de-da, typical list stuff so far, you're thinking. But as educational as the store's merchandise is - at least for me - the store's customers are even more so. I didn't make up the 'make my feet look cute' comment. A woman last weekend - let's call her a "cougar" - spent approximately 68 minutes trying on everything but the shoe we wanted her to try, because all the others made her feet look more cute or matched her CAR, and there was just no way she needed an 8 1/2 in any shoe because she'd never worn an 8/12 in anything before in her life. I am sure she has a weekly mani-pedi, and may be in denial about one or two things other than her foot size. If that sounds like a complaint, I didn't mean it to be. She was a challenge but ultimately a good sport, and the source of endless good-hearted entertainment for us long after she left (with the right pair of 8 1/2 shoes!).

Like her, everyone visiting the store, is a story. This may sound cliche, but the staff really tries hard to unearth each one, and respect the story they find. Even the cougar's, especially hers. And apart from her, almost everyone visiting the store is in an open, exploratory, full-of-hope state of mind. It's refreshing. So far I've met octogenarians who still tear up their treadmills, women with tremendous weight-loss stories, people bouncing back from life-saving surgeries, folks of all ages who are training for their first races, experienced ultramarathoners, high school athletes of all abilities....and it's only been three weeks! Who will walk through the door next, is anyone's guess. That's part of the learning, and a big part of the "how cool is this!" factor.

So, I'm heading off to see if this is the day that Mario, or Marc-Andre, or my Mom, will finally walk through the store door.

And, let me give their feet a little above-the-board lovin'.















No comments:

Post a Comment