Sunday, December 20, 2009

Blogging Virginity, 2

I haven't lost my blogging virginity yet, mainly because I'm still wondering exactly what this should be all about. I told friends that this would focus on our universal mid-life truths, issues, and resiliencies, but I'm not anywhere near qualified to address those things on behalf of, um, "US". Especially since dealing with truths and issues probably became a daily reality for everyone, starting about when the delivering doctor cut the umbilical cord. Yesterday's poopy diapers became the poopy parts of toddler-dom, and so on....leading to today's poopy ________(feel free to fill in the blank).

But the day-to-day living thing is not all about poop (and I'm not typing that word again). Yes it's always there, but it co-exists with - and is often crowded out by - lots of good stuff. Lots. For example, I lost my high-paying corporate marketing job this summer, which "divorced" me from a great paycheck and lots of wonderful co-workers - great friends. But this corporate separation was humane and monetarily generous, and was the hard boot-up-my-ass kick I needed.

So, I'm thinking I should limit "Remove That Fork, I'm Not Friggin' Done Yet!" to chronicling life's current re-invention - changing careers at age 46. Which involves going back to school, which started with finishing prerequisites this past Fall. With 19-year-olds. Who are both completely different and remarkably the same as 27 years ago. In addition to mothering that group, this career shift means completing a 22-month graduate program that begins next June. I'll be mothering a slightly older group of mostly females there, and working with a really, really unresponsive lab partner - a cadaver. I will NOT be doing a sorority-sister do-over (they'd probably blackball me over the cadaver thing anyway), even though I can still recite the Greek alphabet while blindfolded and hopping in circles on one foot. This change also means plugging through almost three years without a paycheck, without losing my home and starving my two rather large dogs, and, entertaining myself and others in frugally creative ways.

So, I can share some of the tricks and things I learn along the way. Without revealing too much insider info about my lab partner-to-be. The rest I can't tell you about because I haven't lived it yet. But check back in once in awhile.....maybe we'll all learn more than we bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment